Want unlimited job postings for free? Become a member!
The proofreader is responsible for ensuring all texts in materials produced by or for the agency and its clients are well written, grammatically correct, accessible, and consistent with client/agency style. S/he reviews text for a wide range of published material, including business correspondence, reports, proposals, brochures, print collateral, newsletters, advertising copy, email promotions and website content, as well as any associated disclosure copy provided.
The proofreader is required to correct spelling, typographical, and grammatical errors (proofreading), confirm style consistency, check facts, and verify hyperlinks in interactive documents. In final proof stages, the proofreader fully reviews all materials as a final check that there are no errors or style discrepancies. This individual will be required to review pre-press proofs, comparing released files to proofs from the printer, on request.
- Proofreads all text and corrects spelling, usage, and grammatical errors.
- Proofreads all digital layout files produced by the agency art production department; annotates PDFs and/or edits in word files using software edit/markup tools. Or proofread and mark up hard printed files using standard proofreading marks.
- Reviews all photo and illustration captions published in print or for accuracy of description, names, dates, locations, and events.
- Maintains awareness of new words or phrases coming into popular usage. Work with Team Leader and Project Managers to meet project schedules.
- Ensure all written communication meets client brand standards and guidelines, as well as industry standards.
- Check registration marks, trademarks and copyrights, and confirm their correct usage.
- Confirm all web addresses are working; phone numbers and legal disclosures are complete and correct.
- Check for consistency among multiple program components, as well as within client guidelines, also noting minor design variances such as fonts, logos, marks, etc.
- Perform minor copy editing as required to comply with client guidelines or legal standards.
- Perform other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- Assist Team Leader with scheduling and paperwork as required, and meeting team goals.
- Maintains current software skills compatible with the needs of other creative team members.
While your primary responsibilities will be proofreading, the proofreader may also be tasked with writing or coauthoring blog posts for the agency website.
- 2+ years of experience, preferably in an agency environment.
- Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling, and standard proofreader’s notations.
- Attention to detail a must; strong organizational skills.
- Ability to take ownership of work and meet deadlines.
- Capable of managing several projects simultaneously.