I. JOB SUMMARY
The highly visible incumbent is responsible for implementing the mission and vision of D’Youville and the Division of Student Affairs while managing and directing the university brand and marketing efforts. In addition to providing administrative oversight to the Office of Marketing & Brand Management, this position will serve as the main point of contact for the university’s external marketing partner to ensure that the Saints story is appropriately articulated, represented, and executed. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who thrives amidst an ever-changing and unpredictable work environment. The Director of Marketing & Brand Management must possess a broad view of marketing and communications and understand the various and important elements that go into a sound marketing strategy. The Director of Marketing & Brand Management will report directly to the Chief Student Affairs Officer; is responsible for the oversight and management of the departmental budget and will serve on various institutional committees. Evening and weekend hours may be required to manage workload and attend meetings and functions. This 12-month position oversees a comprehensive communications model that works very closely with all other areas of the university to ensure that all members of our community, both internal and external, have an opportunity to be informed and engaged.
II. PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- Create, foster, and deliver a strategic university marketing strategy working in conjunction with the university’s external marketing partner.
- Identify and advance university goals focused on recruitment, retention, and reputation through strategic marketing and communications efforts.
- Serve as the marketing decision maker on behalf of the university.
- Fully explore, understand, and further develop the new university brand (Fall 2020) and website (Summer 2021).
- Maintain regular communication with athletics, admissions, and institutional advancement to ensure full understanding, development, and execution of current and future marketing and communication needs.
- Ensure quarterly marketing goals are established with and met by the external university marketing partner.
- Oversee the design and production of marketing materials created internally and externally.
- Develop and deliver internal marketing and communications processes for departments.
- Administer and publish functions for all faculty and staff to adhere to when working with the marketing function of the university.
- Develop briefs for the university’s external marketing partner and oversee various campaigns.
- Design and deliver immediate graphic design projects as needed by university leadership.
- Work closely with the Director of Public Relations to ensure that a consistent university voice is delivered across all marketing and communication efforts.
- Provide administrative oversight to all marketing and communications budget lines.
- Oversee, review, and evaluate all university social media efforts.
- Work with the university’s external marketing partner to ideate innovative marketing tactics and trends that pull from industry best practice that are best suited to achieve university goals.
- Provide supervision, development, and oversight to professional, graduate, and student staff within the Office of Marketing & Brand Management.
- Advise the Student Government Association on public relations and social outreach.
- Establish, foster, and oversee the “The Saints Cellar”; the student news organization.
III. OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Attend bi-weekly 1:1 meetings with the Chief Student Affairs Officer and monthly division meetings.
- Develop a positive working relationship with the university’s external marketing partner and internal IT division and serve as the chief liaison with these agencies.
- Ensure an energetic and engaging departmental environment with a focus on high quality and top-rated customer service.
- Support the overall campus programming model by collaborating with faculty, staff, and SGA on initiatives and events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Student Affairs Officer.
IV. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Thorough understanding of marketing, communication, and brand management.
- Working knowledge of integrated marketing best practices, including for digital marketing, social media, branding and design, and overall strategy.
- Strong cross-cultural, interpersonal, and writing skills necessary, including the ability to represent the university in a positive way to diverse populations.
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse and inclusive community.
- Proven ability to promote an institutional vision and story.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of individuals on campus and in all areas of the community to accomplish campus spirit objectives.
- Ability to make sound professional judgments, often under deadline pressure, when dealing with communication related issues.
- A proven ability to identify and address problems, exhibit competence in identifying and interpreting needed areas of assessment, display sensitivity regarding personnel matters and the ability to participate effectively in short and long-range planning.
- A strong commitment to the college’s mission to honor the catholic heritage and the spirit of St. Marguerite d’Youville working with students from across diverse cultures, backgrounds and faith traditions that promotes leadership and service.
V. JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field required, Master’s preferred.
- At least seven years of progressive experience in the marketing field.
VI. PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Possess the ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Handle multiple tasks and priorities at once while solving problems and thinking innovatively.
- Administrative, organizational, supervisory, and budget-management skills.
- Extended periods of sitting, standing, stair climbing, maneuvering objects of substantial weight.
- Responding promptly in late-night hours while remaining alert.
- Must possess an innovative personal philosophy and an amazing sense of humor.